As many of our readers might already know, the Society for a GE Free BC has partnered with Greenpeace Vancouver Local Group to coordinate a cross-Canada speaker’s tour on the topic of genetically engineered foods. Entitled Genetically Engineered (GE) Foods and Human Health, the goal of this tour is to address the public’s concerns about GE foods and their impacts on human health.
Through a mix of presentations and public meetings, Dr. Thierry Vrain, a retired soil biologist and genetic engineer who now speaks against GE technology after a 30-year career with Agriculture Canada, and Dr. Shiv Chopra, a former Health Canada scientist who lost his job after going public with concerns about the potential human health risks associated with bovine growth hormone, will discuss their concerns about GE foods within the Canadian food system.
In order to help make the tour a reality, we are reaching out to like-minded individuals, organizations, and businesses, and asking for financial support. As non-profit organizations, we rely on the funding from local business and organizations willing to help raise awareness on GE foods, and seek donations to help cover core expenses including airfare, gas, vehicle rentals, and accommodations.
With twenty-eight events scheduled for the western tour, and more being confirmed for the eastern tour (scheduled for January-February 2014), the anticipated cost of the tour is $10,000. To date, we have raised over $2,000, and are asking for your support by making a financial donation to GE Foods & Human Health’s GoFundMe online campaign: http://www.gofundme.com/2ys84s
Any contribution is greatly appreciated – no donation being too small – and will assist our team to successfully reach our fundraising goal and our pursuit of a food-sovereign Canada where no GE life forms are created, patented, approved, bought, sold, or traded.
If you’re interested in making a financial donation, here’s what you can help fund*:
- $500 will pay for half of Dr. Vrain’s flight from Vancouver to Ottawa.
- $135 will cover gas and vehicle rental for one day.
- $40 will cover meal expenses for one presenter per day.
- $20 will cover the printed materials for one event.
*Please note, this entire tour is volunteer run. The guest presenters and the organizing committee are volunteering their time for the duration of the tour and will not benefit financially from this fundraising campaign.
If you do not wish to make a financial contribution online, donations in cash or cheque (made out to “GE Free BC”) can be mailed to:
Society for a GE Free BC
RE: GE Food and Human Health Tour
325 Eagle Ridge Drive, Salt Spring Island
BC V8K 2L1
If you are unable to make a financial contribution to the tour, there are numerous ways in which you can get involved!
- Share this online campaign and tell your friends about the upcoming tour.
- ‘Like’ GE Free BC facebook.
- Promote on Twitter using the hashtag #GEFoodsTour
- Encourage others to donate to the campaign.
- Support the work of the Society for a GE Free BC and the Canadian Biotechnology Action Network
- Become a tour volunteer! If you’d like to be part of a dynamic team of volunteers committed to raising awareness on the issue of GE foods? If so, the GE Foods & Human Health – A Cross-Canada Speaker’s Tour seeks a volunteer fundraiser. Asking for a commitment of 3-5 hours per week, the volunteer will work to promote the tour’s online fundraising campaign via social media and direct outreach. As the tour is organized remotely, volunteers can work from home – from anywhere in Canada. Prospective candidates can express their interest by emailing: GEFoods.Tour@gmail.com
Thank you for your thoughtful consideration of our request.
GE Foods and Human Health Tour Committee